Our guest bathroom has gone through a lot of changes recently and today I am going to share with you my DIY Driftwood Art.
The last time you saw these twigs they were a part of my Faux Mantle over the holidays. I wasn’t ready to part with them so I kept them in my stash until I noticed a blank wall in the bathroom and decided to create some art.
To make your own DIY Driftwood Art here’s what you’ll need:
8-10 twigs of similar size and length
clear thumb tacks
Start with 2 thumb tacks and attach fishing line to each tack. You’ll want the fishing line to be slightly longer than the wall space you want to fill.
I found it easiest to double knot the fishing line to the tack and then hammer it to the ceiling.
Hammer each tack to the ceiling, spacing them equally over the wall space you want to cover. (Please disregard my ceiling that hasn’t been cut-in yet. . . and by yet I mean 10 months later.. . . . don’t judge me.)
Start by hanging one twig at a time, tying each twig at the desired height and working your way down until the wall looks ‘full’. I double knotted each twig to each fishing line and were about a week in and nothing has fallen. Don’t worry too much about trying to keep the twigs even or straight, a little overlapping gives it m ore character!
And there you have it, no more boring wall!
Have you ever created art out of another ‘found’ item like twigs?
As I mentioned in my Kitchen Gallery Art tutorial, I believe that a meaningful quote can tie a wall together. After I stumbled upon the Julia Child quote, I began digging through my stash of frames to find something that was large enough for all of that text. In our duplex, this sign hung above the front door and although I love the text and the detailed frame, I am no longer in love with the style.
I whipped out my trusty collection of spray paint and gave this baby a good coat of primer and then gloss white.
Ahh, much better. I then set to work typing out my text and choosing a background color. I for this simple project, I used Publisher but any type of editing software would work. I didn’t have any 11×17″ card stock so I opted for 2 pieces of 8 1/2×11″.
I then trimmed them down to size and made sure they fit perfectly.
On my first attempt (shown below) I used my trusty hot glue gun. The only trouble was that the thickness of the glue made the seam very noticeable. I wasn’t having it so it ripped up the paper and glue, printed another copy, trimmed it down to size and re-glued it with craft glue.
Here’s the final version, I’m really happy with the way it turned out!
I love how it ties the wall together and gives it a finished look.